Computer Freezes – What is the Best Thing to Do?
Computers are already part of the daily activities of every human being. We use the computer along with the internet in checking our electronic mail messages (email), Facebook and Twitter accounts, and simply playing games. Computers are also great in playing music and video files. More importantly, we use the computer in working and printing documents. Whether for personal or business use, computers or PCs are already making a huge impact on our lives.
However, we can also be annoyed in using the computer sometimes. Why? Computer freezes really suck. If the computer keeps on freezing, users will not be able to finish what they have been working at the right time. Slow computers also drain a lot of time and energy.
Explaining Computer Freezes
In this part, let me explain to you what computer freeze is. Here are some indications that PC users can experience during computer freezes. The indications here will give PC users a better picture on what computer freezes are.
- PC users can experience startup freeze when the computer is turned on.
- Aside from the freezes during the startup of the Windows operating system, PC users can also encounter hang ups during shutdowns. The tendency here is that people using the computer will manually press the power button to off the computer.
- It will take long to process the opening of a requested program because the Windows operating system has a slow performance.
- PC users also experience mouse freezes. When users try to move the mouse pointer, it remains on the spot.
- When you are working on a word processing document like Microsoft Word, the texts you entered from the keyboard fail to appear.
- When you hit the Start button, either through the use of the keyboard or mouse, the menu does not appear.
- The Windows Task Manager console does not appear when the keyboard shortcut Control + Alt + Delete (CTRL+ALT+DEL) is pressed.
- The computer crashes when a device or an application is requested by the user. For example, the PC freezes when accessing the attached webcam or printer.
- Blue screen. This is also called the blue screen of death (BSoD). When this one appears, the data being processed at that time will not be recovered again.
- The desktop also freezes when you try to access it.
Why Does My Computer Keeps Freezing?
There are a lot of reasons why computer freezes happen. All types of computers can experience hang ups whatever operating system is installed on it. Whether the computer is installed with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and even the latest Windows 7 operating systems, it is still prone to computer freezes or hang-ups. The following are the reasons why your computer keeps on freezing.
- There are too many programs running in the background.
- The computer’s hard drive(s) are already full.
- There are a lot of programs installed on the computer.
- Defective RAM. RAM stands for Random Access Memory (RAM). This one is the computer’s memory. RAM processes the request of users in accessing particular applications and devices on the computer.
- Overheating. The computer freezes when it overheats.
- Outdated and mismatch device drivers are installed.
- There are incompatible devices and software being installed on the computer system.
- There are viruses, bugs, worms, spywares, and other malicious programs residing on the computer.
- There are damaged devices, such as sound cards and graphics or display cards, connected in the computer.
- There are corrupt and invalid entries and values in the Windows registry.
How to Avoid Computers from Freezing?
If this issue keeps on happening without further actions, your computer will crash totally and will never be used again. To address computer freezing problems, PC users must be able to know the perfect solutions. PC users can have a better understanding if they know the reasons behind computer freezes. The following are some ideas on how PC users can troubleshoot freezing problems in computers.
- Avoid installing too many programs. Always consider the memory capacity of the computer when installing applications. This also applies on the files being saved on the local hard drives and folders.
- Don’t run various programs at the same time. The execution of multiple programs can exhaust the central processing unit (CPU) and the RAM.
- Replace defective RAM, display cards, video cards, sound cards, printers, and other devices attached on the PC.
- Remove incompatible software and devices from the PC.
- Run antivirus software regularly. Update to increase the protection of your PC from viruses, spywares and the like.
- Remove, if not, update device drivers.
- Do not overuse PCs. PCs need to break and rest as well. If you don’t want your PC to overheat, don’t place the computer in a hot area.
Clean Up the Registry – The Most Effective and Simple Solution
The Windows registry is the database created by information technology (IT) expert Microsoft Corp. to handle configuration settings of every software and hardware installed in the PC. Installing and uninstalling files can lead to mismanaged registry, therefore, this needs cleanup. Cleaning up the registry can prevent the occurrence of computer freezes, leading into a faster Windows performance.
Learn more about how registry errors cause computer freezes.
There are two processes in cleaning the registry – manual and automatic. Manual registry cleaning is not advised for those who are not well versed in PC troubleshooting because this might lead to further damage. To manually delete invalid registry file, you can click the Start menu from the task bar and select Run. At the textbox, type in the keyword “regedit.” A console will appear and you can now delete unneeded registry entries. On the other hand, automatic registry cleaner are applications which are programmed to automatically delete invalid entries at the registry.
How to Select the Safest Registry Cleaner?
Conduct research first to avoid making rush decisions. Rush decision can put all your investments into nothing. You can perform a thorough investigation online by visiting forums and social networks. You can also read reviews from registry experts and ask for their opinions.
Read the features and capacity of the registry cleaner. Before releasing money, know what the registry cleaner can do.
After deciding what registry cleaner to choose, only download from the official website of the manufacturer.
Read more about how to select a safe registry cleaner.